The role of Secretary is to support the chair in ensuring the smooth functioning of the Management Committee. In organisations without paid staff, the Secretary may take a greater role in the day-to-day administration of the organisation. The Secretary’s tasks include
Ensure Responsible Administration
- To prepare agendas in consultation with the Chair (and chief officer)
- To circulate agendas and any supporting papers in good time.
- To receive agenda items from other committee members.
- To check that quorum is present
- To minute meetings and circulate the draft minutes to all committee members
- To ensure that the Chair signs the minutes once they’ve been approved
- To check that committee members and staff have carried out actions agreed
- To circulate agendas and minutes of the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and any special or extraordinary general meetings.
- To ensure up-to-date records are kept of committee membership
- If a company limited by guarantee, act as a company secretary and ensure statutory requirements are met
- In a charity, to ensure that the charity complies with the requirements of the Charity Commission in terms of registration, reporting changes to governing documents and directors etc.
Make Arrangements for Meetings
- To ensure arrangements for meetings are met (booking the room, arranging for equipment and refreshments, organising facilities for those with special needs etc)
- To sit on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
Qualities and Skills Required
- Organisational ability
- Experience of committee work and procedures
- Minute taking experience (if this is not being delegated to staff).
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences
- Approachable and sensitive to the feelings of others
- Well organised and an eye for detail
- Ability to work well with the Chair
- Good time-keeping
The role of Secretary requires an estimated commitment of [e.g. 36 hours per month]
Interview and references are required
Other content by this organisation
No regular activities have been posted by this organisation
No other services have been posted by this organisation
No other news has been posted by this organisation
Gasbags North East are needing a volunteer to maintain and update their social media including website, Facebook and Twitter
none officer committee members
Gasbags North East need more committee members